Opening Weak Two’s
This is the second bidding system concerned with opening bids at the level of 2. This system combines weak 2’s in the major suits and diamonds with strong 2’s 2 Club and 2NT openers. Partners must discuss which systems they are using otherwise costly mistakes can occur. Weak 2 opening bids are useful for showing your partner your weak but long holding and importantly… interfering with the opposition finding their own best contract.
Two level bids which are weak and strong
Weak twos are preemptive and the thinking is that if you have a weak suit the opposition have points, lets bid showing our six card suit and make it really hard for the opposition to find the correct place, and we may just make this contract. \ Weak Two bids tell your partner that you have at least a 6-card suit and 6-10 HCP with two or more high-cards in the bid suit. Bidding Weak Twos does not exclude a 4 card side-suit holding in another suit.
Guidelines for Weak 2 Bids
1. If the preemptive bid is a Major suit, then you are usually telling partner that you don’t have any interest in the other Major suit
2. A preempt as an overcall after oppositions opening on the one level should be at least one level higher and in a higher-ranking suit than the opening bid.
3. If the preemptive bid is an overcall after after oppositions opening bid on the one level is in a lower-ranking suit, then the preemptive bid should be at least two levels higher.
4. You are showing that you do not have an opening hand.
5. When deciding to make a Preempt the vulnerable or non-vulnerable, and counting the number of winning/losing tricks should be carefully considered.
|Examples of Weak 2 Opening bids
|=6-10 points and a 6 card diamond suit
|=6-10 points and a 6 card heart suit
|=6-10 points and a 6 card spade suit
Exercise: What should you open this hand?
- ♠A Q 10 9 6
- ♥ 7 3
- ♦ J 5 3 2
- ♣ 4
Answer: Your bid is 2♠. With only 7 HCP your hand is not strong enough to open at the 1 level, but with your 5 winning tricks and 3 tricks from your partner (not vul) you will interfere with the bidding of the opposition.