Responding to Opener's Suit Rebids
What suit should I bid after Opener has rebid a suit?
Responding to Openers suit rebids1. The opener has usually shown the strength and distribution of their hand in their first two bids. Responder must then look at their own hand and calculate the total point count, then decide should this hand be played in part-game or are there enough points to bid game(with the much higher number of bonus points) the decision depends on the strength and points total of the openers and responders hands combined.
If the combined hands have....
- 25 HCP and no 'major suit fit' then the responder needs to bid game in NoTrumps;
- if they have 26 TP and a 'fit' in either ♠ or ♥ then the responder needs to bid game in a major suit
- if they have 27 TP and a 'fit' in either ♣ or ♦ and side suits with no stoppers (honor cards) then the responder needs to bid game in a minor suit
2. The second decision the opener must make is whether the contract should be in a suit OR in NoTrumps. This decision is made by looking at your hand and deciding whether to:
- Support one of partner's suits
- Rebid your own suit
- Show another suit of your own
- Bid NoTrumps
|Responder can choose to||...point count||...holding|
|- prefer one of partner's suits||0-9 TP||responder chooses opener's suit in which they hold the most number of cards-with equal numbers of cards in both suits return opener to their first bid suit (this is called 'showing preference'). Leave the contract at the lowest possible level and opener may pass.|
|- rebid first bid suit||10+ TP||a good 5 card or a six card suit|
|- bid a second suit||12+ TP||must have a second 4 card suit and two or less cards in in partners suits|
|- bid NoTrumps||11+ HCP||with no major suit 'fit' and stoppers in the unbid suits|
Exercise: Your partner opens 1♠ you bid 1NT and then opener rebids 2♥. What is your bid?
- ♠A 5 4
- ♥10 8
- ♦J 10 9 7 2
- ♣J 9 6
Answer: Return opener to the first suit ♠because you have longer spades. Opener has 5 spades & 4 hearts. With 4 of both suits opener would bid hearts first and then their spades. You must have 10+ points to bid your diamonds at the level of 2